Colloquial Russian provides a step-by-step course in Russian as it is written and spoken today. Combining a user-friendly approach with a thorough treatment of the language, it equips learners with the essential skills needed to communicate confidently and effectively in Russian in a broad range of situations, requiring no prior knowledge of the language.
- progressive coverage of speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- structured, jargon-free explanations of grammar
- an extensive range of focused and stimulating exercises
- realistic and entertaining dialogues covering a broad variety of scenarios
- useful vocabulary lists throughout the text
- additional resources available at the back of the book, including a full answer key, a grammar summary and bilingual glossaries
This fifth edition offers modernised language reflecting social and cultural changes, new vocabulary that's essential for day-to-day interactions, and updated audio material.
Balanced, comprehensive and rewarding, Colloquial Russian will be an indispensable resource for both independent learners and students taking courses in Russian.
Audio material to accompany the course is available to download for free in MP3 format from www.routledge.com/cw/colloquials. The audio material features the texts, dialogues and exercises from the book and will help develop listening and pronunciation skills.
Preface to the fifth edition
Introduction to the Russian language
1. Как вас зовут?
What’s your name?
2. Изучаем русский язык
We are studying Russian
3. В гостинице
At the hotel
4. Типичный день
A typical day
6. Идём в гости!
8. Любимый отдых
11. Как снять квартиру в Москве
How to rent a flat in Moscow
12. Российские СМИ
Russian mass media
13. За покупками!
Spelling rules · Gender · Declension tables · Verbs · Prepositions · Stress
Key to the exercises
Audio track listing